Tuesday 13 January 2009

Black Dog


"Today on Life Matters, we are going to be discussing what it is like living with a black dog." Tim stopped doing the dishes, cocked his head slightly. He knows all about living with a black dog. "Life with depression." What? I was somewhat baffled. Apparently "black dog" is a euphemism for depression. Do I looked depressed? Do I look likely to make someone depressed? What about Minnie-Moo? What about Black Jack? I guess it could be ironic, like calling someone with red hair "Bluey" or a quiet person "Rowdy" as we do in Australia. Or maybe it is meant as a cure for depression. By the way, I can think of a lot of good uses for a white elephant. 

Life is great when you have a great, big tongue.

9 comments:

Juliet Colors said...

How strange. I've never heard that euphemism before, either.

Great pic, Ruby!

Happiness said...

Juliet, this expression "black dog" does indeed refer to major depression. I believe it may have been coined by Winston Churchill as a euphemism (or maybe a metaphor) for his own depression; if not actually coined by Churchill, it was definitely used in reference to his "ailment."

♥ Braja said...

I was going to intro you to Henry but of course that fast little guy has found you. I saw you on Lee's blog and laughed out loud at your fish comments and calling them Bob. I miss the Aussie humor...I'm an Aussie living in India. See what I mean????

Dughallmor Beagles said...

I've never heard that before either....we learn something new each time we visit you Ruby! Great humunga-tongue too, good for slobbering!
Slobbers xx

Dexter said...

Black Dog is a good thing! Maybe they get sad because they are humbled by how awesome we are.

Kisses,
Dexter

Amber and Nala said...

Hi there, I found your blog through the Dughallmor beagles! Certainly don't look depressed to me! :) There are lots of interesting expressions out there though.

Kisses,
Nala

Tess Kincaid said...

Ruby, you are a beautiful girl. Thanks for stopping by Willow Manor and signing my guest book. You are one computer savy pup.

Minnie-Moo (Rescue Lab) said...

Noooo, you look as though you will brighten someone's day and I bet you do, often :)

Muzzle says us dogs are her sunshine :) Along with our daddy.

M-M
xxx

Meg said...

I've heard that euphemism before, but always thought it crazy as the black dogs are usually the happiest. I think they should call it a "red dog" or something, after the depressed and cranky surliness of Ridgebacks when it is extremely cold....