Tuesday, 13 January 2009

Black Dog


"Today on Life Matters, we are going to be discussing what it is like living with a black dog." Tim stopped doing the dishes, cocked his head slightly. He knows all about living with a black dog. "Life with depression." What? I was somewhat baffled. Apparently "black dog" is a euphemism for depression. Do I looked depressed? Do I look likely to make someone depressed? What about Minnie-Moo? What about Black Jack? I guess it could be ironic, like calling someone with red hair "Bluey" or a quiet person "Rowdy" as we do in Australia. Or maybe it is meant as a cure for depression. By the way, I can think of a lot of good uses for a white elephant. 

Life is great when you have a great, big tongue.

10 comments:

Juliet Colors said...

How strange. I've never heard that euphemism before, either.

Great pic, Ruby!

Happiness said...

Juliet, this expression "black dog" does indeed refer to major depression. I believe it may have been coined by Winston Churchill as a euphemism (or maybe a metaphor) for his own depression; if not actually coined by Churchill, it was definitely used in reference to his "ailment."

Braja said...

I was going to intro you to Henry but of course that fast little guy has found you. I saw you on Lee's blog and laughed out loud at your fish comments and calling them Bob. I miss the Aussie humor...I'm an Aussie living in India. See what I mean????

Dughallmor Beagles said...

I've never heard that before either....we learn something new each time we visit you Ruby! Great humunga-tongue too, good for slobbering!
Slobbers xx

Mango said...

Black Dog is a good thing! Maybe they get sad because they are humbled by how awesome we are.

Kisses,
Dexter

Amber said...

Hi there, I found your blog through the Dughallmor beagles! Certainly don't look depressed to me! :) There are lots of interesting expressions out there though.

Kisses,
Nala

willow said...

Ruby, you are a beautiful girl. Thanks for stopping by Willow Manor and signing my guest book. You are one computer savy pup.

Minnie-Moo said...

Noooo, you look as though you will brighten someone's day and I bet you do, often :)

Muzzle says us dogs are her sunshine :) Along with our daddy.

M-M
xxx

Meg said...

I've heard that euphemism before, but always thought it crazy as the black dogs are usually the happiest. I think they should call it a "red dog" or something, after the depressed and cranky surliness of Ridgebacks when it is extremely cold....

splendid said...

chloe bags
chloe handbag
chloe handbags
chloe paddington bags
chloe paddington bag